Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 1: Official Oxfordian

Day 1 has come and gone, and I'm still alive...a little delirious maybe, but still alive. Everything has actually gone pretty smoothly. After a 9 hour flight from DFW airport, I arrived in London this morning at 8:45. Then an hour long bus ride from London brought me to Oxford, where I then had to take a taxi further into the city to Brasenose College, which was my final destination. I'm pretty sure my friend and I were quite the sight to see standing in the tiny, crowded, old streets of Oxford with way too much luggage while waiting for a taxi to come by. Oxford has its tourists, but they were certainly not all carrying three pieces of luggage. But we were patient, and a very nice and helpful taxi driver came soon.

Brasenose College is one of many colleges that make up Oxford University as a whole. Here are some pics of my first exploration of the college today. 

Oxford rooftops from a window on campus.


The church on the left is Brasenose College's campus church. The church in the background is outside of campus and is called the Christ Church of Oxford.


Dorm areas are designated by staircase numbers, not by different building names. This is staircase no. 12, which is one of the oldest "staircases" (or dorms) at Brasenose and where I also reside. 


Oxford University has a main library, but its individual colleges also have their own, and this is the Brasenose College Library. (Beauty and the Beast, anyone?)


The view from my dorm room window out to the streets of Oxford


The "Quad," which is encompassed by all the "staircases" and dorm rooms. This grass is pristine, and you are not allowed to walk on it. Everything here is just beautiful.

There is more to come of my adventures and explorations of Oxford, surrounding areas, and London! But for now, I must get some sleep. Stay tuned!

Brit

3 comments:

nonni and pops said...

Hey there Brit in Brit-We're very glad things have gone smoothly so far. I'm sure the pictures don't do the sights justice, but they are amazingly beautiful!! We look forward to future posts:) Love you, Joe and Sandy

Melanie said...

Hey Brittyne -- So glad to get your news and photos. I read your entry to Liliana and when she saw the picture of you with your luggage she wanted to know if you were coming to our house!

Unknown said...

The pictures are awesome, and I love your writing your so talented!!! I can't wait for future updates, have fun girl!!!! (:Penny:)