My first European cappuccino
The spikes on top of the cafe sign are common to all places of business. Their purpose is to keep the birds away and off the buildings, and it really works! Where there was a pigeon problem, there is no longer one!
My friends and I have also ventured to the "Covered Market" a couple of times for sandwiches, produce, and flowers. Everything at the open market, as well as all over town, is extremely fresh, healthy, and appetizing. The Covered Market has a few very quaint coffee and tea joints and several sandwich shops where you can find fresh, tasty sandwiches. You can basically find all types of fresh food at the Covered Market - freshly butchered meats, fresh fish and produce, and locally made cheeses. The dairy here is very different, but don't let that fool you - it's fabulous! Butter, milk, and yogurt here all actually have taste. Fresh foods here have all had more taste and increased flavor, whatever the product may be. For example, raw english peas at the market here are juicier and less pungent than raw english peas from Whole Foods at home. Also unlike home, produce itself and eating healthily are both more affordable. A big bag full of peas, 6 tomatoes, and 2 nectarines cost £ 1.40. It's been amazing how healthy the cuisine here has been and how healthy all the people seem to look. (On possibly a more interesting note, I have seen many Cadbury vending machines. Also, the majority of candy bars in grocery stores here are made by Cadbury, and all of which I have not seen back at home.)
The street that connects my college with the Covered Market (very fitting)
The Oxford Cheese Company, located in the Covered Market, has their delivery vehicle parked outside the shop.
Me shopping the produce stand
The flower shop at the Covered Market
The old man I fell in love with at the meat shop is butchering a pig behind the window. If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you can read about the history of the oldest ham in the world.
My friends and I, back at the college, sitting outside eating our sandwiches we just picked up at the Covered Market.
1 comment:
Brittyne, your pictures are awesome! It looks like you have settled in just fine. I am glad. I look forward to keeping up with your time overseas. Enjoy every second! Be safe...love you
Post a Comment